1.  Where to Apply:

  • Hampshire County Judicial Building

          Clerk of the Circuit Court

          50 South High Street, Ste. 157

          Romney, WV 26757


2.  When Can I Apply?

  • Between the Hours of 9:00 a.m. and 3:00 p.m. Monday through Friday (no appointment necessary)

3.   What is the difference between the Passport Book and the Passport Card?

  • The U.S. Passport Card can be used to enter the United States from Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean, and Bermuda at land border crossings or sea ports-of-entry and is more convenient and less expensive than a passport book.  The passport card CANNOT be used for international travel by air.
  • Passport book can be used for all methods of travel

 4.   What do I need to bring with me to apply for a passport?

  • Minors Under the Age of 16
    • Complete Form DS-11: Application For A U.S. Passport
    • Submit Evidence of U.S. Citizenship
    • Present Minors ID (if applicable)
    • Present Parent(s)/Guardian(s) ID – Both parents must be present OR Provide Statement of Consent  – If one parent is absent
    • Submit One Passport Photo
    • Pay the Applicable Fees

  • Adults and Minors Over the Age of 16
    • Complete Form DS-11: Application For A U.S. Passport
    • Submit Evidence of U.S. Citizenship
    • Present ID
    • If Minor over 16, Provide Parental Consent – Not Required.  However, when paying with check from parent, the parent’s signature and copy of their ID is required.
    • Submit One Passport Photo
    • Pay the Applicable Fee

5.  How much does a passport cost?  
(Also See Fee Chart here)


Optional Services

Adult (16 and up)

Expedited Fee
Child (15 and under)

Overnight Return Fee

  • The fee(s) listed above must be submitted in the form of a check or money order payable to the "U.S. Dept. of State".

Additional Fees

Processing Fee

  • These additional fees can be paid by cash (exact change), check, or credit card. Please note that there is an 4.025 percent convenience fee when payment by credit card.

6.  Where can I get my pictures taken and how much does it costs?

  • Hampshire County Circuit Clerk’s Office - $10.00  OR
  • You may visit any photo lab that processes passport pictures. Costs will vary between stores.
  • Click here for information about photo requirements

7.   What is a valid Evidence of Citizenship?

  • Primary Evidence of U.S. Citizenship (One of the following):
    • Previously issued, undamaged U.S. Passport
    • Certified birth certificate issued by the city, county or state
      • A certified birth certificate has a registrar's raised, embossed, impressed or multicolored seal, registrar's signature, and the date the certificate was filed with the registrar's office, which must be within 1 year of your birth. Some short (abstract) versions of birth certificates may not be acceptable for passport purposes. Beginning April 1, 2011, all birth certificates must contain the full names of the applicant's parent(s).
    • Consular Report of Birth Abroad or Certification of Birth
    • Naturalization Certificate
    • Certificate of Citizenship

8.   Where can I obtain a certified copy of my birth certificate?

  • Possibly from the County Clerk of the county/state where you were born. Click here for a list of West Virginia County Clerks (address and phone numbers).
  • Vital Statistics of the state in which you were born. Click here for a list of states Vital Statistics contact information.
  • Order online at vitalchek.com

9.   Where can I obtain more information and fill out forms on-line?

The acceptance of passport applications at the Hampshire Co. Circuit Clerks office has been suspended until October 1, 2020. 

For more information from the U.S. Department of State - click here for Passport Operations in Response to COVID-19.


Frequently Asked Questions & Information

Sonja K. Embrey

Hampshire County Circuit Clerk

Court Docket      Court Calendar